CDL in Alabama

You will need a CDL in Alabama if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle in this state for hire.  There are important requirements which you must fulfill before you can earn this license.  You will therefore have to comply with the state’s requirements and pay the corresponding fees in order to begin working as a commercial driver.  The type of vehicle that you will be driving will determine what particular instruction class will be granted to you.

Commercial drivers licenses are divided into 3 types and they are class A, class B, and class C.  Class A licenses are issued to those who will be driving a commercial vehicle that has a combined weight of more than 26,000 pounds with the vehicle being towed weighing more than 10,000 pounds.  Class B licenses are given to single or combination vehicles that has a combined weight of more than 26,000 pounds but the vehicle being towed weighs less than 1,000 pounds.  The last one, Class C, are for those which are made to carry more than 15 passengers including the driver and for vehicles that do not fall under the previous classifications.

Applying for a CDL in Alabama will need several requirements and they are a DOT medical examiner’s certification, an Alabama driver’s license, Social Security Card or other proofs, vehicle insurance, and the applicable fees and an age of 18 years and above.  If you are applying for other endorsements, you will need a background check and additional tests in order to acquire the endorsement.  You will need a physical and visual acuity test in order to determine your fitness to drive on the road.

The fees for the CDL examinations are $25 for the written examinations and $20 for the skills part.  When you pass the exam, you will have to pay for the licenses themselves and they have the following costs: $23.50 for Class C; $43.50 for Class B; and $53.50 for Class A.  There may also be some additional or miscellaneous fees that will be added depending on the area from which you will be getting the license.

When you pass the written part of the examination, you will be allowed a learner’s permit if it is your first time to apply for a license. You will be allowed to handle a commercial vehicle as long as you have someone with you who can teach you and has a valid CDL license themselves.

A CDL in Alabama can also have additional endorsements such as those which are for double or triple trailers (T); Passenger (P); Tank Vehicles (N); Hazardous Materials (H); and School Buses (S).  They will require either skills or knowledge test or both depending on the type of endorsement that you are getting.  It is important to be physically fit and to have good eyesight either with or without corrective lenses when taking the exams.  You will be better able to pass these exams by first reading the commercial driver’s manual which is available online or through the Alabama DMV. You can find additional information about receiving your license and a list of Alabama truck driving schools on this page.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *